Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Patience is a Virtue

Today's society is all about NOW! We eat fast food because cooking takes too much time. We text because phone calls take too long. Basically, the idea of waiting in anticipation seems to be a lost art... or is it?

I feel old just saying this but I miss the days of waiting for things. I remember waiting for Tuesday to roll around so I could beg mom to take me to the nearest record store and see what new albums had come out. Or grabbing the newspaper when I got home from school to see what new movies were coming out that weekend. Hell, I even miss smelling Sunday dinner cooking the minute we walked into my grandmother's house and counting the minutes until it was time to eat.

Lately, however, even I have fallen victim to the NOW mentality. I get fussy when my cell phone won't IMMEDIATELY do what I tell it. How dare it make me wait 3 seconds to see a picture?

I don't know if I really had a point when I started typing this (looking back, I doubt it) but even typing it has made me think and I hope it does the same for you. Next time something is taking longer than you want, try to be excited about what you are waiting for rather than mad that you don't have it already. You'll find yourself happy a lot more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment