Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Changing of the Seasons

Summertime was always my favorite time of year as a kid. Obviously, no school was a big part of it. For me, though, the beach was what it was all about!

I grew up walking distance from the river and a pool so it wasn't uncommon for me to spend 3-4 days a week at one or the other during the summer. Then there was vacation time! Anywhere from a weekend at Atlantic Beach to a week trip to somewhere random like St. Simons Island there was always at least one trip to some beach. Add in summer camp and I pretty much lived outdoors all summer.

Sadly, that has not been the case in a while. Summertime is super busy in radio land so it's rare that I actually have time or energy to make that 45 minute drive to the beach. Not to mention so much of the fun has been beaten out of it now. You have to pay to park, most of the putt-putt and fun stuff like that has been stripped out, and this year it's super hot and smokey all the time!

I finally did make it to the beach 2 weekends ago and despite all the "problems" I had convinced myself of, it was awesome! Not a long day, just a few hours in the sun and playing in the surf but it was perfect. I had forgotten how relaxing it was to just lay back and listen to the waves crash. Or how fun it was jumping over waves and trying to body surf. All the magic and splendor the beach held as a kid came rushing back like they never left.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, as you get older and things you enjoy change, it might be you and not them that's actually changing and sometimes just you have to stop looking for a minute to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment